Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Anorexic teen who was so thin she couldn't sit down is saved by her boyfriend's love


A teenager who weighed just 84lbs and was told by strangers that she looked "skeletal" as she struggled with anorexia says she is overcoming the the condition thanks to her boyfriend's love .


According to Mirror Tiffany Mulligan developed an eating disorder in 2010 after a long battle with depression and drastically cut back on her foot intake as a way to feel in control of her life. 

The 19-year-old put herself through rigorous two-hour workouts every day and lived off vegetables and tofu as treatments recommended by doctors failed.

After her body mass index (BMI) dropped to a dangerous low of 14.4, she vowed to beat the eating disorder over fears her boyfriend, Seth Altimus, would watch her die.
Tiffany, a medical student, and Seth, 20, live in the US state of Pennsylvania and have been dating for seven years.

Thanks to his support and her determination she has reached a healthy weight of 108lbs.

Tiffany said: "I constantly chose my eating disorder over him and so it became crucial to beat my eating disorder so that we could have a healthy relationship.
"I was terrified that if I didn't recover my boyfriend would have to witness my premature death, which I couldn't do."


Seth and Tiffany going to their high school prom
Tiffany at her worst


She added: "It's been a very long struggle but I'm finally getting there and am reversing the effects that were caused by my eating disorder.

"Seth has incredibly supportive through it all, to help me to get better he eats meals with me and will pack us lunches when we go places."

Tiffany, who has been documenting her recovery on Instagram , was living off less than 1,000 calories a day and often supplemented her minimal food intake with fizzy drinks to stop her from passing out during her intense workouts. 

Tiffany during her battle with the eating disorder in 2014


Strangers would stare at her gaunt physique and several people would even offer her food to try to encourage her to eat.

She had so little energy she couldn't even open doors or shut windows.
Last May Tiffany felt compelled to push herself through recovery for the sake of her loved ones.
 
 She said: "Something just clicked in my head this time, I realised I couldn't keep doing this to myself, my boyfriend and my family.
"This time I know I could keep living how I used to and that I didn't want to go back to how I was before.

"Every time I gain weight I have to remind myself that I need to do this and that no one wants me to lose weight.
"I have a boyfriend and a family who love me, and I won't let myself do it to them again."

Tiffany Mulligan, 19, from Seward in Pennsylvania, USA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...