Sunday, November 13, 2016

'I wish all my kids were from one woman' –Tuface

Unarguably one of the iconic musicians in Nigeria and Africa, Innocent Ujah Idibia, aka Tuface, talks about his music, life and inspiration


The 41-year-old singer, songwriter, record label owner and entrepreneur, who has been under the radar in recent times,says he’s making more music.

Nonetheless, in spite of these huge successes that have come his way, he is not without some attendant personal issues. With seven children from three women including his wife Annie Idibia, Tuface expresses his displeasure at having children from multiple women.   After a long pause, he decides to respond in a measured tone . “It is really tough to talk about it.  Honestly, when I look back and  examine that  aspect of my life, I wish it never happened. I wish all my kids came from one woman.  I love my children and there is nothing I can do to change the situation . I have moved on and I am married to one of the women who bore me kids. I no longer dwell on that issue.”

He goes further  to  describe his relationship with his children. “I am not the strict type because I have a soft spot for kids. As such,  my children always get away with so many things when I am around. Their mothers are the ones who  discipline them. I pamper my kids,’’ he tells with delight in his voice.

Does it seem likely that any of his children would follow in his footsteps? He affirms this and adds that some of them are already exhibiting  signs of taking up music as a career and rather than dissuade them, he is prepared to give them the encouragement they need to succeed.


At the moment, I am recording a couple of songs which I hope to release much later, so that is what I am preoccupied with now and has kept me away, ’’ he says.

With a new single, Hate what you do to me, which is currently trending in the music circle, the boisterous entertainer, without much prompting opens up on the inspiration behind the song. He says, “The song is just about relationships. There are some relationships that work and some just don’t work. The song explains itself and I think everyone should listen to it.”#


Many years after, a reminiscing Tuface  admits to missing his former group members.  In a nostalgic voice, he says, “Sometimes, I miss the group and we have tried to get back together a couple of times but as you know, we have all grown as individual artistes and there are so many differences now compared to when we came together as a group. Some things are not as smooth as they ought to be but it would be a nice thing to come together and do something really big.’’


 When he started out, Tuface says that he never envisaged that he would hit it big in music. Hear him: “One thing about life is that when you embark on a journey, you never know your final destination.  At a young age,  I had a mental picture of what and who I wanted to be and I pursued  it. I must say that I have yet to  reach the pinnacle of my career and that is why I am still working extremely hard.’’
He freely acknowledges that there is not much difference between his persona as an artiste and Innocent Idibia. Changing the tempo of the interview, he expresses himself in a mix of Pidgin and English. “The thing is this, Tuface dey craze pass Innocent if I can put it that way but by and large, there is not much difference between both personalities,’’ he says.


Going down memory lane, he  recalls that he listened to several  genres of music as a child and that shaped his craft. He says, “I actually fell in love with reggae and country music more and these are reflected in most of the songs that I sing from time to time. I think that I wrote my first song when I was in secondary school. I was in Junior Secondary School at that time.  I do know that the song was titled 123 and it was a reggae song.”


A recipient of several national and international awards which include an MTV  Europe Music Award,  a World Music Award, five Headies Awards, four Channel O Music Video Awards, a BET Award, four MTV Africa Music Awards and one MOBO Awards among others, Tuface, seems poised to continue his winning streak as an international artiste.


When he is not making melodious music, the international act always takes a break from his hectic schedule to relax. For him, this comes in different forms he quips. “Sometimes, I could just sleep but most times, I like to hang out with my friends. We laugh, gist, crack jokes and generally have fun,’’ he says.

http://www.nollywoodaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Tuface-Idibia-3-400x600.jpg


http://static.pulse.ng/img/incoming/origs4974649/2366362473-w644-h960/Annie-first.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...